A warm breeze, a cozy campfire and a sun that never seems to set. Northern summers are short and sweet, so make the most of them. Get your baby summer ready with these 5 essentials.
Jan & Jul Sun Hats
Sun protection is so important for your little one. Preventing sun damage from UV rays will help reduce your child’s risk of skin cancer later in life.
Don’t wait until they’re older to start wearing a sunhat. Start when they’re newborns so you don’t end up constantly having to fight with them to keep it on. Get them used to wearing a hat before they develop motor skills. Otherwise they will be ripping them off.
Jan & Jul hats are amazing for a few reasons:
- They offer great UV Protection at 50+ UPF.
- They are made of breathable cotton fabric, so your littles’ head won’t get too hot.
- They start at size 0 to 6 months. It can be hard to find hats that will fit newborns.
- The straps are adjustable so they will stay on and fit comfortably. The adjustable straps also allow the hats to grow with your baby.
- The straps have a break-away safety clip on the strap, so your baby won’t hurt themselves if they pull hard on them.
- They come in a variety of fun styles and prints like pineapples and dinosaurs.
What does 50+ UPF mean?
UPF stands for Ultraviolet Protection Factor. It refers to how much UV radiation a material allows to reach your skin. A 50 UPF material blocks 98% of the sun’s radiation and allows 2% (1/50th) through.
The Skin Cancer Foundation considers a fabric with UPF rating from 30 to 49 as offering good protection while something rated 50+ is considered excellent.
How is that different from SPF?
SPF stands for Sun Protection Factor. It is typically used for sunscreen. It represents how much longer you can be in the sun before skin will redden using the product compared to without. So, for example wearing SPF 30 sunscreen, it will take 30 times longer for the sun rays to redden your skin than if you weren’t wearing any.
Another key difference is that UPF measures protection against UVB and UVA rays; while SPF only measures UBB protection.
Honeysuckle Swim Co. Swimsuits
Nothing beats cooling off in some refreshing water on a hot summer day. With a baby or toddler, it can be a bit of a pain fitting them into a swimsuit, dealing with diaper changes and worrying about sun protection.
Sun protection is very important for a baby’s sensitive skin. For children under 6 months, it’s recommended that you minimize the amount of sunscreen that you use. Sunscreen should be reapplied regularly for prolonged periods in the sun, approximately every 2 hours. Sunscreen will also rinse off if you’re baby is getting wet.
A swimsuit with lots of coverage and a high UPF rating will help to reduce how much sunscreen you need to apply and won’t wash away.
Here’s why we love Honeysuckle Swim Co. swimsuits:
- They are made of a stretchy material that makes dressing your baby a breeze.
- Their material is rated 50+ UPF, offering great sun protection.
- The material is soft, comfortable and breathable.
- The inseam zipper makes for easy diaper changes.
- They are quick drying and chlorine resistant.
From our own experience, we have also found that they keep water out really well, so no soggy diapers. Their stylish design and fun patterns don’t hurt either.
Loulou Lollipop Hooded Towel Set
After your aquatic adventure, it’s important to get your baby warm and dry. According to BabyCenter, only the cold virus can give your baby a cold, so being cold and wet alone won’t cause it. However, being cold and wet may cause a virus that is already in your baby’s nose to flare up.
Hooded towels are great for a few reasons. The hood helps to keep your baby warm immediately. It also helps to keep the towel on a squirmy baby. Hair holds water, so using a hooded towel can help dry your baby more quickly.
The Loulou Lollipop hooded towel set has everything you need:
- On top of having a hood, they have pockets for keeping your little one’s hands warm.
- They’re large enough to keep wrapping your child with as they grow. 33 by 33 inches.
- They come with a matching washcloth that is always handy to have.
- They are lined with ultra-absorbent terrycloth made from bamboo.
- The beautiful designs have matching swaddles, quilts and cribsheets.
Jax & Lennon Tank Rompers
Sun’s out, guns out. Who wants sleeves on a sweltering afternoon? Find a shady spot and take it easy. Sure they’re comfortable, but what we like most is how easy tank rompers are to put on and take off.
What’s great about Jax & Lennon tank rompers:
- Keep your little cool and comfortable.
- They look great and come in a selection of simple colors and patterns that are easy to accessorize with.
- Soft and stretchy bamboo material allows for ease of motion whether it’s walking, crawling, rolling or whatever else they come up with.
Little Love Bug Co. Sandals
As your baby grows and learns to walk, it’s best for them to be barefoot as much as possible so that their feet are able to breathe and grow. If they are going to be walking outside, it is important to wear something to protect their feet to avoid injuries. Footwear is also a great way to finish off an outfit.
If you’re baby is wearing footwear for walking, there are a few things to consider. They should offer support and have padding on the heels and ankle to avoid rubbing. They should have flexible non-slip soles so that their feet can bend naturally and to avoid slipping. They should also have fasteners such as laces, Velcro or adjustable straps so that they don’t come loose.
Why Little Love Bug Co. sandals fit the bill:
- They have flexible, non-slip soles made of rubber.
- Handmade with 100% genuine leather. The breathable material means no sweaty overheated ankles.
- The elastic entrance and adjustable straps mean they are easy to put on and adjust for a snug comfortable fit.
- The design offers soft ankle and heel support.
- They come in cheetah print!
Those were our 5 summer essentials from head to toe. Let us know what your essentials are or if there are different types of products you would like to hear more about.